Frequently Asked Questions

General FAQ

What services do you offer? We offer a variety of services to homeless and low-income families with children 17 years old or younger including prenatal and parenting support, housing assistance, tax and benefits assistance, substance abuse services, domestic violence services, mental health services, and a variety of support groups and classes. A more detailed explanation of what we do can be found in our How We Can Help You section. Am I eligible for your services? If you are pregnant or a parent with children 17 years old or younger, then you are eligible for our services. What do I need to bring when I come in to see you? For your first visit to register with us, you only need to bring in a photo ID. However, depending on the services you need, you may be asked to provide additional documentation. This could include: Social Security cards for each member of your family, birth certificates for children, immunization cards for children, proof of income, proof of pregnancy, or proof of homelessness.  

Housing FAQ

Am I eligible for housing assistance? Our Housing Assistance Program is for homeless and low-income families currently residing in San Francisco. A family is defined as any natural, adoptive or foster parent who has custody of a child 17 years of age or younger. Women who are at least five months pregnant also qualify for the program. Can you help me find housing? We have a variety of ways to help you find housing. We have Housing Clinics in English and Spanish that will help you search for housing, learn about housing resources, plan a household budget, know your rights and responsibilities as a tenant and find out more about our rental assistance program. To attend a workshop, you must first come in during registration hours for an intake. In our Community Technology Center, staff and volunteers can also help you search for housing online and fill out applications for affordable housing. Once you are registered with us, your case manager will also provide you with additional resources to find and secure stable housing. Does HPP provide financial assistance for housing? We provide assistance with security deposits and can occasionally assist with first month’s rent for families moving in to new housing. Our unique “barriers to housing” program also assists qualifying families with paying back rent or utility bills if these debts are acting as a barrier to stable housing. If you wish to apply for assistance, you should bring photo IDs and Social Security cards for all adults in the household, birth certificates for all minors in the household, proof of pregnancy (if applicable), and proof of income from the last 30 days. If you have already found a prospective apartment, you should also bring the lease, or an offer letter of intent to rent. You can find our drop-in hours here.

Community Health Worker FAQ

How can I be a part of the Community Health Worker Training Program? To be considered as a part of the Community Health Worker Training Program you have to have a minimum of one year in stable housing and a minimum of two years clean and sober. You must be looking to pursue or currently be pursuing a GED certificate or an Associates degree and be looking to find employment in an entry level position in the social service sector. You must have stable and reliable childcare. You will also need a written recommendation from your HPP Case Manager or another written recommendation if you are not a former HPP client. If you meet these requirements, then you can submit your resume to to Randi Tanksley at Orientations generally take place every four months, and Sonia will contact everyone whose resume she has received when the next orientation is scheduled.